Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Kaïda Sushi Bar

kaida-sushi-futomaki-miami-tartar-atomic

Last week, it was my boyfriend's birthday and I wanted to treat him to some sushi. He is constantly craving sushi! (Well actually, me too!). I wanted to bring him someplace new and since there was a group deal on Tuango for Kaïda Sushi Bar, I thought it was a good place to try out. And good thing too, because we had a great night and amazing food!


Kaida-grilled-octopus-salad

As an appetizer, we shared the octopus salad (13$). Grilled octopus with iceberg lettuce, algae, carrots and caviar. The dressing was incredible! There was a party of flavors in my mouth haha.


Kaida-sushi-burger

Next came the Sushi Burger (12$), one of the Chef's specialties. It was served with a delicious mayo-teriyaki sauce. One of my guilty pleasures is fried food, so I loved these!


kaida-sushi-tentations

Another one of the Chef's specialties, Tentations (15$). This one was probably my least favorite of the bunch. We ordered it because it looked so pretty! There was honey inside so it was extremely sweet. Personally, I don't like my sushi to be sweet. The sauce was a coconut-honey sauce and was also very sweet. It tasted better with soy sauce than with the coconut sauce.

We ordered 2 kinds of futomakis, Miami (5 for 7.95$), Futo (5 for 7.95$) and a tartar maki, Atomic (2 for 6.95$). While all of the rolls were really tasty, I especially liked the Atomic. And the plate came with a crispy Taro chip.


kaida-sushi-dessert

For dessert, we had the sushi dessert. The sushis were filled with mango, guava, longan, carrots and cucumber and were served with a coconut sauce. As I've said earlier, I'm not really into sweet sushi, but these were actually pretty good. I was hoping for something other than rice in the sushi though. Maybe the exotic fruits wrapped in a soybean sheet and drizzled with melted chocolate? Yummm. Let's just say at the end of the meal I felt kind of cheated because this dessert was not nearly sweet enough for me. On the bright side, they gave us guava candies at the end and that satisfied my sweet tooth. :)

We went on a Tuesday evening and apart from another couple, we were the only ones in the restaurant. The waiter was very helpful and took the time to explain each dish to us and answer our questions.

The restaurant is situated on Parc Avenue, in the Mile-End area. There was no parking area available for the restaurant (which is, let's face it, a rarety in Montreal). There are plenty of parking spaces (with parking meters) on Parc Avenue in front of the restaurant.

Overall, we had an amazing time at Kaïda. The romantic atmosphere, excellent service, fresh and tasty sushis and fair prices made it an ideal place to have an intimate birthday dinner. I would definitely come back for more!

Food: 4.5/5
Service: 5/5
Setting: 4/5
Value: 4.5/5
Overall: 4.5/5

Location:
5261, avenue Du Parc
Montreal, Qc H2V 4G9
(514) 303-8162



Kaida on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

Post a Comment